Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cria Watch

Waiting for my own children to be born was not as stressful as this! As of today, our alpaca, Pearl, is 11 months and 18 days pregnant. Even the chickens are getting impatient waiting while they keep the bugs away from her.
So, now my son has me worrying about something I didnt even think of before, he mentioned that if she has the cria at night, how do we know what day its born on, especially if she has her (notice I never call the soon to be born cria "him") around 11pm or 1am, how will we know?

Last year we were priviledged enough to be able to be there and assist her through the entire delivery. I have it on video, I need to condense it and upload it. Its really cool, you just have to disregard some of the obsenity, it was our first cria on the farm and we were a little excited. :)

She is bred to our one of our finest herdshires, Logan of Lockwood. He is a beautiful True Black alpaca. Last year she was bred to another black alpaca and the result was a gorgeous little brown girl, Angel Eyes. Below, is Angel last year on the day she was born.

The previous year, in 2006, we were told Pearl gave birth to twins during the night. Neither of the crias made it. I just love this time of year when all the babies are being born. We have had 1 birth this year from our cashmere goat, isnt baby Suzi the cutest.

ok, must get back out there and stare at her some more, Pearl sure does love it when I hose down her back side. And its hot out there today, so off to hose her down!

No comments: